It is spring again, and you cannot wait to get out and play. Guess what else is springing forth this season: grass! Your lawn will look greener now than ever, and you will need to keep the greenery under control.
If your yard is not the size of a football field, you do not need to waste your money on riding mowers nor zero turn lawn mowers. Instead, invest in the best cordless electric lawn mowers you can find on the market. Why not a riding mower? Well, you could buy one, but if your not mowing much a large riding mower can get expensive to maintain.
I personally recommend electric lawn mowers because it does not consume as much power as we would need with a gas-powered one and they can get the job down, just like a gas powered mower. Electric mowers are also quieter than their gas-powered counterparts. Keep reading this cordless electric lawn mower review to find the best one for you…
The Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers Compared
|Product Name||Cutting Width||Run Time||Rating||Price|
|EGO Power+ LM2001-X||20″||45 min.||$$|
|GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX||19″||120 min.||$|
|Poulan Pro PPB4020M||20″||60 min.||$|
|Black+Decker CM2040||20″||120 min.||$|
|Snapper XD 82V Max||21″||90 min.||$$|
Benefits of Electric Lawn Mower Cordless
A cordless electric mower is expensive for its size, but the initial cost is returned several times through efficiency and low maintenance costs. Apart from their ability to navigate through obstacles, here are others reasons for buying one.
- Not As Loud: While a gas-powered mower is pretty powerful, it could also have your neighbor call the police on you for violating the noise code. It is louder than a tortured soul seeking escape! An electric mower is not exactly a hummer, but it keeps it low while still being as effective as any other lawn mower.
- No Spills: Nothing looks more ghastly than patches of oil all over your lawn after a nice cut. Worse still, it takes a while before the oil goes away. Electric mowers leave no motor oil stains.
- Cheaper: A gas-powered mower will need a gallon or more before you can finish mowing your lawn. A cordless electric mower, on the other hand, a fully charged mower can last you up to an hour and possibly an hour and a half depending if it’s set up with two batteries. It would be ideal to keep an extra battery fully charged just in case you exhaust one.
- Compact: We do not have too much storage space, and so we prefer a mower with a small footprint. Most of them range between 16 and 20 inches in width, but they fold into a compact size that you can store effortlessly. They are easy to transport too.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Electric Lawn Mower
- Size Of Your Lawn: While you can use a electric lawn mower for almost any size lawn. You definitely want to consider how large your yard is. If it’s something small like a basket ball court or two, then no big deal an electric mower is a great choice. However, if your lawn is as biggest a football field, then you may want to consider a zero turn mower or a riding mower instead.
- Mulching Or Bagging Ability: Unless you don’t mind tracking your movements with a rake after mowing, you will want a mower that comes with a bag to collect the clippings. You could also invest in a mulch kit (bought separately in most models) to chop up the grass and out it back into the soil to fertilize your lawn or plants.
- A Close Cut: The wider your mower’s deck, the closer the cut and the faster you mow. A large deck is expensive, but it will also cut neater as it accommodates a bigger blade. You will need to change your blade from time to time to ensure the best cut possible.
Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Reviews
1. EGO Power+ LM2001-X: The Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
The dimensions of this mower, 37.4 x 21.6 x 16.1 inches and 65.5 lbs, give it an edge when covering a large lawn. It has a sturdy build, which certainly contributes to its weight, and it comes complete with LED lights for night mowing.
This powerful mower uses 56-volt Lithium-ion batteries that will keep going for a good 45 minutes. It has a 600-watt motor that could make quite a racket on other occasions, but the electric powering keeps the noise down to a reasonable level.
The deck, 20 inches wide, is made of hard plastic that insulates heat. You can expect it to heat up after an hour of continuous work, but it remains relatively cool to the touch. The engine has an auto-shut mechanism to prevent overheating as well.
The manufacturer says that the mower has an ipx4 construction that resists any weather, but I am not about to take chances with an over $800 investment. Additionally, it is much smaller when you fold the handles, thus not taking up too much space.
- The wide deck is able to cut more grass in less time.
- The rechargeable battery lasts a good 45 minutes and you have the option to buy larger batteries if you need more time.
- With a 3300RPM, the mower loads in no time and maneuvers all obstacles with ease.
- It can mulch, bag, or discharge clippings to the side.
- It costs a bit more compared to other electric lawn mowers.
- It can clog up if you allow it to handle too much volume.
2. GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
The entire body of this mower is covered in hard plastic that can take a beating. The material will handle any weather, seeing that the parts that are not plastic are made of stainless steel. The handle folds quickly to reduce its size when storing it.
The lever on the side of the mower is for level adjusting. You have up to five height settings to get the desired cut. Its 19-inch deck is ideal for a reasonably sized blade that ensures a clean cut with fewer takes, which eventually reduces your mowing time.
A 40-volt rechargeable battery powers it, which is less powerful than what powers most of the high-end mowers on the market. Nevertheless, that does not reduce its ability to do a great job, but it does eat into the run time. The battery is good for up to 60 minutes, which is the time you will need for a ¼ acre. If you take longer than that, you will need to stop and recharge.
- The 19-inch deck is one solid construction.
- It has 7 height settings.
- It is easy to assemble.
- Quite cheap.
- It is powered by a 40-volt battery, which is less powerful.
3. Poulan Pro PPB4020M Electric Mower Reviews
I always look out for maneuverability when I am shopping for a mower because I hate going back to a spot I missed in the first attempt. With its dual blades under this solid 20-inch deck, this machine has more than meet my needs.
The front wheels make easy turns to get you an almost perfect z-turn, a factor I attribute to the flexibility of the test of its body. The mower is only 41lb, thus the wheel don’t leave much of a track behind it.
It uses a 40-Volt Lithium-Ion battery with 60 minutes of running time. Although this time could be improved, the machine makes up for it by cutting as close to the ground as possible. You have 5 height settings to guide you, but you will need to stop and make adjustments first.
It is electric driven, and so you will not get much exercise from pushing it. It challenges me when mowing downhill as I have to try and pull it back as much as I can. Thankfully, the steep part is negligible.
- The deck has enough space to take in medium-sized grass.
- Increased cutting capacity due to the dual blades.
- It starts instantly.
- It is not too noisy.
- Lightweight body makes you wonder how long it will last.
- Assembly is a pain.
4. Black+Decker CM2040 Cordless Lawn Mower
As is with most mowers in its price range, this Black + Decker machine has a 20-inch deck at the bottom of its body. The overall plastic and steel construction is solid, and the material of the deck itself absorbs the heat to keep this machine running for up to120 minutes.
It uses 2.5Ah – 40V MAX lithium batteries and the first purchase comes with 2. Each runs up to 70 minutes when fully charged. As much as my Greenstar mower would challenge this time, 70 minutes is more than enough to mow most lawns.
The height adjustment lever is close to the handle, and you can adjust it from 1-1/2 inch to 4 Inch high. It comes with a 15-gallon nylon collection bag, which I find quite impressive. Of course, the idea is to empty the bag when it fills or to disengage it for the clippings to collect on the side. An overload will clog the deck.
- It bags, discharges on the side, and mulches.
- The wide deck accommodates a wide blade for faster cutting.
- You can change the gear to conserve the battery and make it run longer than 70 minutes.
- It maneuvers and turns easily.
- Thick grass consumes more power, and so the standard time may be less than 70 minutes.
- The deck is too low for grass more than 4 inches high.
5. Snapper XD 82V Max Cordless Lawn Mover
In the package, you have two batteries, a charger, and the actual machine. The Snapper XD SXDWM82K mower runs on a Briggs & Stratton, and each of the 82V lithium-ion 2.0Ah batteries runs for 45 minutes, to make it approximately 90 minutes.
The overall construction is sturdy, with hard plastic covering the entire body. The 21-inch deck is well hidden with the rest, but you can see the outlined sturdiness of this material. It is a 3-in-1 design for mulching, discharging, and bagging.
This mower has a feature that is unique to its brand: load sensing technology. Most blades have a hard time with a thick, healthy turf, but this technology automatically adjusts blade strength to counter this obstacle. It also maneuvers and turns well, especially given that it is cordless.
When going downhill, the load sensing technology will again adjust the workings to slow the mower down, reducing battery consumption in the process. I know for sure that the running time will be affected by the nature of cuttings and your terrain, and so 90 minutes is not guaranteed.
Since the deck is raised higher, it will take up longer grass with up to 7 height settings.
- Higher deck for a greater height variation.
- 7 height settings.
- Load sensing technology adjusts blade strength.
- Solid construction.
- It costs more than most cordless electric lawn movers.
- A bit bulky.
Final Thoughts on the Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers
When shopping for a hand-pushed mower, I go beyond the available electric lawn mower reviews to focus on construction. I prefer a sturdy built that’s designed to last a long time.
The deck is important because it determines the height of grass you can accommodate and the amount it can take in before it clogs. Although manufacturers talk about standard running time, thick lawns will need more attention to go through, which will certainly eat into the running time of your battery.
Personally, I believe the EGO Power+ LM2001-X Cordless Lawn Mower is an expensive brand, but it is worth the initial cost. The engine allows you to conserve the battery, and the LED lights take on the night. The front wheels, with their tread, make an almost perfect turn, to avoid leaving untouched patches. Holding all other factors constant, it’s running time is up to 90 minutes if you get the 7.5Ah battery.
If you need a mower that will stand the test of time, the EGO Power+ LM2001-X is it.